Spring was definitely in the air at brvnch on Sunday - some bright colored flowers, wonderful sunlight, fresh cocktails and some of the most delicious crepes one could ask for.
What a way to ring in the season!
Here at The Blackened Brvnch, we like our guests to be able to express their creativity by fixing up their own plates (like our highly successful Breakfast Burrito Bar), so when we decided to make crepes, to go along with Kyle’s wonderfully fresh and spring-like Roselle cocktail, throwing a bunch of various fillings and toppings at our guests sounded like a grand idea. We started with a basic vegan crepe:
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup melted soy margarine (we use Earth Balance)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado (fancy word for raw) suar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the soy milk, water, margarine, sugar, syrup, flour and salt. Cover and chill the mixture for at least 2 hours. And try to resist eating it all right on the spot (Rika and have to constantly restrain ourselves. You’re welcome.)
- When you’re ready to go, lightly grease a 5 to 6 inch skillet with some soy margarine. Heat the skillet until hot. Then pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into the skillet. Swirl to make it cover the bottom and cook until golden. Flip and cook on opposite side.
MAKES: 4 crepes
For the rest of your sweet ‘n savory crepe bar:
Lay everything out in serving bowls and let your guests have at it!
For our vegan crepes we want to have options between savory and sweet, and our sauces needed to reflect that! Thank you, Internet, for letting me stumble onto Vegan Yack Attack, which had two very awesome crepe filling recipes tested and waiting.
CREAMY CASHEW FILLING
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soak for 2 hours, or boil with a little salt and turmeric, on low, for 30 min-hour)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- In a high-speed blender or food processor blend together the soaked cashews, water, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt.
- *If your blend burns out on you while you’re making this, it still tastes delicious even if it’s a little chunky!
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (huge fan of Ghirandelli)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk (we used almond milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil (we used vegetable oil)
- Using the double boiling technique, with a water-filled pot and empty glass bowl, melt the chocolate chips down.
- Once the chips are starting to melt, introduce the coconut milk and oil into the mixture and stir until they are fully combined and have a sauce-like consistency. Let it cool for a couple of minutes.
MAKES: Enough for 4 crepes
CREDIT: Vegan Yack Attack